Shop Small November 24th Small Business Saturday
Please support your favorite small businesses with your patronage this holiday season and throughout the year.
Shopping local, small businesses in your own backyard, benefits your entire community.
We’re Your One Stop Holiday Shop
The Backyard Naturalist has nature-themed gifts for all ages in every budget. Stop in and see what's new!
- Holiday Greeting Cards
- Holiday Ornaments
- 2019 Nature Calendars
- Wild Bird Feeders, Baths & Houses
- Heated Bird Baths & De-Icers
- Support Native Pollinators
- Games, Toys, Puzzles & Puppets
- Rocks, Minerals, Crystals & Fossils
- Scented Soaps, Candles & Lotions
- Flags, Mats & Mailbox Wraps
- Bracelets & Jewelry
- Alice’s Cottage Kitchen Textiles
- Wind Chimes
- Adajio & Sienna Sky Earrings
- Maryland Crab Decals & Magnets
- Little Handmade Pottery Dishes
- Art Pole Bird Baths
Area’s Best Rocks & Mineral Selection
Rock, Mineral, Crystal & Fossil Specimens. . . we have the area's best selection outside the Smithsonian Gift Shop!
And we've just added more.
Fair Trade from Around the World
For Local Sports Fans
Redskins, Ravens, Capitals, Nationals and Orioles!!! We have officially licensed flags, mini-flags and doormats.
Celebrating Our 30th Year
The Backyard Naturalist is the area’s largest and oldest independent retailer of products for wild birds and gifts for nature lovers of all ages! Proudly serving Maryland and the Washington, DC metro area for thirty years.
We are Maryland's first and only store to be awarded Droll Yankees' Five Feather Platinum Premier dealer status.
We take care of our feathered friends’ needs year-round:
Your Backyard Habitat
The BYN on Facebook
From The Backyard Blog
- Shop Small on Small Business Saturday! November 24thShop Small and Small Business Saturday. We’re talking about two things here! Both are about choosing to keep your community thriving and being an interesting—and convenient—place to live. Shop Small — The nationwide movement to show support for small businesses every day to help communities …
The Backyard Blog Archive
‘Best Of’ Montgomery
Thank you for voting us ‘Best Of’
MoCo’s Best Gift Shop
Montgomery County, Maryland!!!
Visit Us or Call
Or subscribe to our email updates:
Our emails are rare birds and fly in as seasonal reminders carrying noteworthy information. We promise their chicks will never hatch in your InBox.
Our mailing list NEVER migrates, so your info stays private.
For almost 30 years, we've had the same mission:
To inspire our community to appreciate and nurture the nature found in all our backyards by providing a sanctuary of food, water and shelter for wild birds.
Each of our backyard habitats contributes to the health and well-being of not only the individual visitors to our feeders and baths, but is also one more piece of habitat restored and connected to Migratory Flyways. As green space increasingly disappears due to development, our backyard micro habitats link together, backyard by backyard, across our county – our state – our country.