Discover the wonders of nature with nature-themed activities, science projects and kits from The Backyard Naturalist!
Here are just a few ideas (find detailed info below) to encourage and inspire a budding naturalist:
- Plant a garden with your kids. Inspire them with a Garden Tote Bag and sturdy metal gardening tools sized just for them.
- Witness the magic of caterpillar metamorphosis with our Live Butterfly Garden.
- Observe found insects in a ‘Critter Case‘.
- Dissect Owl Puke and find something truly surprising!
- Build a Wren house and host a Wren family in the Spring.
- Support or kindle a young person’s fascination with wild birds! See our recommendations for Junior Birders here.
- Build a Bird Diner. Start a backyard bird habitat together!
- Make something! Here are some of our other kits and activities:
- Eco-Friendly Bird Feeder Kit
- Friendship Bracelets Kit
- Crepe Paper Butterflies & Flowers Craft Kit
- Make Your Own Wind Chimes Kit
- Make a Garden Stepping Stone Kit
- And more. Selection may vary.
Garden Tools with Tote Set – Scaled smaller for Kids!
A canvas gardening tote with sturdy metal garden tools. Sized for small hands, but also durable enough to be used by adults.
Set comes with a quality canvas bag to tote around sturdy metal garden hand tools with wood handles: a trowel, rake and shovel.
Perfect for window box gardening, re-potting house plants or projects where space is limited. Machine washable canvas bag is decorated with a cheerful frog and ladybug and has seven deep pockets.
For ages 5 and up
Live Butterfly Garden
Witness the magic of caterpillar metamorphosis with a unique hands-on live butterfly experience!
- Reusable, collapsible screen habitat with waterproof PVC fabric shell.
- Feeder and complete instructions.
- Mail-in coupon for 5 caterpillars and food. ($5.00 fee for processing)
Owl Puke Dissection Kit
What was once an owl’s feast is now a world of discovery! With each totally sanitized pellet, a child can reconstruct real skeletons.
Reconstruct real skeletons from a sanitized pellet that contains virtually everything the owl ate the night before.
What do owls eat? Small animals, like mice, shrews, moles…here’s a chance to find out for yourself! It’s a little bit eughhh!, but totally fascinating and a whole lot of fun! Recommended for ages 8 and up.
Safely observe up close and learn about the insects you catch (and later release where you found them!).
This colorful insect viewer has sturdy plastic construction with fabric mesh sides. It has an easy-open hatch for depositing and removing plants, branches and insect guests. The case’s flat base makes it great for table-top viewing, and also prevents it from being easily knocked over and emptying its inhabitants!
Size: 7.5″ x 5.5″ x 8.5″
Ages 5 and up
Build a Wren House Kit
Build your own Wren house and host a Wren or even a Chickadee or Titmouse family in the Spring!
- Comes with easy assembly instructions.
- Metal hanging cable.
Build & Paint Your Own Wild Bird Feeders & Houses
Build and paint your own bird feeder or bird house using the included pre-cut wood pieces, nails, glue and hanging hardware.
Comes with 4 paint pots and paintbrush.