Discover the wonders of nature with nature-themed activities, science projects and kits from The Backyard Naturalist!
Here are just a few ideas (find detailed info below) to encourage and inspire a budding naturalist:
- Witness the magic of caterpillar metamorphosis with our Live Butterfly Garden.
- Observe found insects in a ‘Critter Cabin‘.
- Dissect Owl Puke and find something truly surprising!
- Build a Wren house and host a Wren family in the Spring.
- Support or kindle a young person’s fascination with wild birds! See our recommendations for Junior Birders here.
Live Butterfly Garden
Witness the magic of caterpillar metamorphosis with a unique hands-on live butterfly experience!
- Reusable, collapsible screen habitat with waterproof PVC fabric shell.
- Feeder and complete instructions.
- Mail-in coupon for 5 caterpillars and food. ($5.00 fee for processing)
Owl Puke Dissection Kit
What was once an owl’s feast is now a world of discovery! With each totally sanitized pellet, a child can reconstruct real skeletons.
For ages 8 and up.
Observe up close and learn about the insects you catch (and later release!) outdoors.
A handy carry strap makes it easy to take along on a backyard safari!
Size: 8″ X 6″ X 6.5″
Ages 5 and up
Build a Wren House Kit
Build your own Wren house and host a Wren or even a Chickadee or Titmouse family in the Spring!
- Comes with easy assembly instructions.
- Metal hanging cable.
Build & Paint Your Own Wild Bird Feeders & Houses
Build and paint your own bird feeder or bird house using the included pre-cut wood pieces, nails, glue and hanging hardware.
Comes with 4 paint pots and paintbrush.